Saturday, November 14, 2015

NaNoWriMo Day 14 - How Losing is Done.

The month is almost halfway over and I'm 3,973 words behind. Yesterday I did a whopping 263 words, which is my lowest daily word count yet. I bet this blog post is longer than that.

In my previous post I mentioned how I write in three blocks throughout the day. An hour in the morning while lying in bed (like right now), 30-60 minutes on my lunch break, and 1-2 hours before I doze off to happy land. But yesterday I slept in, and because I slept in I forgot my lunch at home so I left the office for lunch, and then I passed out from mental exhaustion around 10:30. I was asleep before my wife came to bed.

And that's how you get 4,000 words behind, my friends. That's how losing is done!

It also doesn't help that I've been distracted this week and writing my story has felt like I'm back in college doing research papers. And when I do sit down to write I find myself more interested in writing these blog posts than my story. Yes, right now I'd rather write about my writing than actually writing.

Wait...I've had an epiphany. Yes, why didn't I see it before? The tension is gone in my story! This blog post is filled with tension, but the story has become dull and flat. Remember what you wrote in the first blog post, Ben? Excitement, tension, drama! It's gone! You lost it! But where did it go? And how can you bring it back?

That's it, screw the outline. I'm going rogue. It's time to throw Gabby in the water.

Cue "Eye of the Tiger."

Bum....bum, bum, bum...bum, bum, bum...bum, bum, buuuuuuummmmmmm.

No comments: